Take part in our new Family Business Survey and have your say! Click here
The VAT DIY House Builders scheme has been designed to allow a homeowner, building a home, to benefit from certain special VAT rules. The rules allow the qualifying construction costs of new homes and certain conversion works to be zero-rated and VAT repaid on certain qualifying construction costs. The following types of conversion are eligible to use the DIY House Builders scheme:
• The conversion of a previously non-residential property into a dwelling to be used either by the homeowner or their relatives as a family home for residential or holiday purposes.
• The conversion of a previously residential property for either the homeowner or their relatives, that has not been lived in for the last 10 years or more, into a family home for residential or holiday purposes.
• The purchase of a converted building as a 'shell' from a developer which has been fitted out to completion, for either the homeowner or their relatives as a family home for residential or holiday purposes.
• The conversion of a building into one that is intended solely for a Relevant Residential Purpose.
Business related claims will likely be rejected by HMRC. These may include:
• Claims by a speculative developer
• Claims by a landlord
• Claims by homeowners running a bed and breakfast business
• Claims by homeowners running a fee-paying care home
• Claims by a membership club or an association
• Claims by homeowners running a fee-paying school.
Homeowners who work from a home office are usually eligible to make a claim.
Disclaimer – Please note: The ideas shared with you in this article are intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayers’ circumstances do vary and if you feel that tax strategies we have outlined may be beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you do or do not take action as a result of reading this article, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.
If you like this article and would like our FREE updates sent straight to your inbox then subscribe to our monthly newsletterSubscribe
All content © 2015 Armstrong Watson. All Rights Reserved. Website by Simon Pighills.
Armstrong Watson LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales, number OC415608. The registered office is 15 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1EW where a list of members is kept. Armstrong Watson Accountants, Business & Financial Advisers is a trading style of Armstrong Watson LLP. Armstrong Watson LLP is regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales for a range of investment business activities.
Armstrong Watson Audit Limited is registered to carry on audit work in the UK and Ireland by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. Registered as a limited company in England and Wales No. 8800970. Registered office: 15 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1EW
Armstrong Watson Financial Planning Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm reference number 542122. Registered as a limited company in England and Wales No. 7208672. Armstrong Watson Financial Planning & Wealth Management is a trading name of Armstrong Watson Financial Planning Limited. Registered Office: 15 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1EW