Get free updates - subscribe to our monthly newsletter Subscribe
Two of the VAT special schemes can provide particular advantages for smaller businesses.
• The Flat Rate Scheme can reduce overall VAT payable, especially for businesses that are subject to the lower Flat Rate percentages.
• Cash Accounting allows you to defer payment of VAT added to your sales until the invoices are paid. This can have significant cash flow benefits for businesses with amounts owed from customers that are higher than amounts due to suppliers.
In order to register for either of these schemes, your projected business turnover for the year following registration needs to be below certain limits.
• Under the Flat Rate Scheme rules you can register as long as your projected turnover for the next 12 months does not exceed £150,000 excluding VAT.
• The equivalent turnover limit to join the Cash Accounting Scheme is £1.35 million.
Once you are in the scheme you can continue to enjoy the benefits until your turnover exceeds the exit turnover limits. For both of these schemes these turnover limits are higher than the amounts required for registration.
• You will need to leave the Flat Rate Scheme when your annual turnover exceeds £230,000 excluding VAT.
• The equivalent amount to leave the Cash Accounting scheme is £1.6 million.
From a planning point of view it is therefore wise to consider registration for these schemes when a smaller business commences trading or shortly thereafter, when turnover limits will be at their lowest levels in most cases.
The Flat Rate rules allow you to stay in the scheme and exceed the turnover registration limits by £80,000 before you need to exit. For Cash Accounting purposes the equivalent figure is £250,000.
If you like this article and would like our FREE updates sent straight to your inbox then subscribe to our monthly newsletterSubscribe
All content © 2015 Armstrong Watson. All Rights Reserved. Website by Simon Pighills.
Armstrong Watson LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales, number OC415608. The registered office is 15 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1EW where a list of members is kept. Armstrong Watson Accountants, Business & Financial Advisers is a trading style of Armstrong Watson LLP. Armstrong Watson LLP is regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales for a range of investment business activities.
Armstrong Watson Audit Limited is registered to carry on audit work in the UK and Ireland by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. Registered as a limited company in England and Wales No. 8800970. Registered office: 15 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1EW
Armstrong Watson Financial Planning Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm reference number 542122. Registered as a limited company in England and Wales No. 7208672. Armstrong Watson Financial Planning & Wealth Management is a trading name of Armstrong Watson Financial Planning Limited. Registered Office: 15 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1EW