Are you overpaying tax?

As we near the end of another tax year, it’s not just self employed individuals who need to be considering their tax positions.

If you are an employee that has incurred certain expenses over the course of the last tax year, the end of the tax year provides you with an opportunity to reclaim some of the tax you have paid because of incurring these expenses.

Some of the more common expenses that can be claimed by employees are professional subscriptions, buying small tools that are required for them to do their job, buying and cleaning specialist work clothing, business mileage that is not reimbursed by their employer at HMRC official mileage rates, and a working from home allowance if you are required by your employer to carry out some of your work from your home.

HMRC also allow employees in certain industries to claim an annual ‘flat rate expense’, the amount of which varies depending on what type of work the employee does.

If you are a higher rate tax payer that makes regular gift aid payments, or makes payments into a personal pension scheme, you may be due higher rate tax relief on these payments also. If you are paying tax at higher rate, you have an opportunity prior to 5 April 2016 of paying into a personal pension, and obtain higher rate tax relief on this pension payment.

You are not just restricted to claiming tax relief for allowable expenses or pension/gift aid payments for the last tax year, either. It is possible to claim tax relief for tax years 2011/12 to date prior to 5 April 2016. If no action is taken prior to 5 April 2016, any tax relief due for the 2011/12 year will be lost.

If you would like further information on this, or require any assistance with your tax relief claims, please do not hesitate to contact Ross Campbell at the Dumfries office on 01387 955900 or

If you like this article and would like our FREE updates sent straight to your inbox then subscribe to our monthly newsletter


Get in touch

To find out more about how we can help you or your business, call us on 0808 144 5575 and speak to a member of our team. Alternatively use our contact form to send us a message or arrange a callback.

CALL 0808 144 5575


Contact Us

All content © 2015 Armstrong Watson. All Rights Reserved. Website by Simon Pighills.

Armstrong Watson LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales, number OC415608. The registered office is 15 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1EW where a list of members is kept. Armstrong Watson Accountants, Business & Financial Advisers is a trading style of Armstrong Watson LLP. Armstrong Watson LLP is regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales for a range of investment business activities.

Armstrong Watson Audit Limited is registered to carry on audit work in the UK and Ireland by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. Registered as a limited company in England and Wales No. 8800970. Registered office: 15 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1EW

Armstrong Watson Financial Planning Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm reference number 542122. Registered as a limited company in England and Wales No. 7208672. Armstrong Watson Financial Planning & Wealth Management is a trading name of Armstrong Watson Financial Planning Limited. Registered Office: 15 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1EW